Procedure Preparation Instructions
Please read the following instructions to prepare for your outpatient surgery at Lansing & Genesis Surgery Centers.
Please arrive at the surgery center one hour prior to your scheduled procedure or surgery time, and report to the receptionist’s desk. A responsible adult must arrive, stay, and drive you home. Minors (age 17 and under) must be accompanied by parent/legal guardian. Patient drivers may bring a drink/snack as there is no cafeteria. Coffee is provided.
Prior to Admission
In order to reduce the risk of postoperative wound infections, we ask that you bathe or shower with an antibacterial soap the day of your procedure (i.e. Dial, etc.), paying particular attention to the surgical site.
- Do not wear jewelry or make-up
- Do not apply lotion/cream to the surgical site (or face if having cataract surgery
- Do not wear nail polish
- Do not wear contacts – bring glasses case
- Please leave valuables at home
- Female patients must submit a urine sample upon admission. See receptionist before using the bathroom.
DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight
(unless otherwise instructed)
- This includes water, gum, mints, & hard candy.
- You may brush your teeth & rinse your mouth, do not swallow.
- Do not consume alcohol for 3 days before procedure.
- Call for instructions if you develop a cough/cold, flu-like symptoms, or fever 2 days before procedure.
- Insurance cards
- Photo identification (driver’s license okay)
- Form of payment
- Crutches/Walker (for when you arrive home)
- If patient requires a durable medical power of attorney or guardian: Call the center right away for special instructions. Please be advised the guardian must be present on day of surgery unless previous arrangements have been made.
- Loose-fitting clothes
- Short sleeves if having cataract surgery
Medications to take on procedure day:
(with a small amount of water, 1 to 2 ounces)
- Blood pressure medication
- Heart medication
- Seizure medication
- Asthma medication (bring rescue inhaler)
- DO NOT TAKE DIURETICS (water pill)
- If you are taking Asprin, Plavix, Coumadin, NSAIDS (Motrin, ibuprofen, etc.) or other blood thinners, call for instructions. Tylenol/acetaminophen products are okay to use.
- 7 days before surgery, stop all herbal products – prescription or over the counter (including energy drinks, diet pills, and stimulants).
Attention Diabetic Patients:
On the day of surgery:
HOLD INSULIN/ORAL DIABETIC MEDS unless otherwise instructed.
Check your blood sugar the morning of the procedure and bring the results.
Bring insulin/oral diabetic medications.